BGSU Historic Campus Tour

Wooster Center

Continue  Walking Tour | Academic Tour

1124 E. Wooster St.

Religion has played an integral role in students’ lives throughout the university’s history. From the beginning, students were encouraged to worship at any of the Bowling Green’s churches. However, with a Lutheran-student population of over 1,200, the small chapels struggled to accommodate the demand. In response, the Lutheran Church/Missouri Synod purchased a house on Thurstin Avenue for use as a campus ministry. In 1968-1969, the University Lutheran Chapel was constructed. Unlike most Bowling Green churches which focused on families and the community, the chapel emphasized worship, activities and programming directly related to students. This changed in 1999 when the chapel became the Community of Christ Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod) and family and traditional programming was added. The church closed its doors in 2003. In October 2003 the Board of Trustees passed a resolution to purchase the building on East Wooster Street. The university officially opened the Wooster Center for the 2005-2006 school year. Used by numerous groups throughout the area, the Wooster Center houses the Elsewhere Theatre as well as classrooms.

Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:

  • 1968-1969 University Lutheran Chapel constructed
  • October 1969 - dedication
  • October 3, 2003 Board of Trustees passes resolution to purchase building
  • June 4, 2004 purchase completed
  • August 2005 Wooster Center opens