BGSU Historic Campus Tour

Cottage Houses/Sorority Row

Continue Walking Tour | Residence Hall Tour

President Prout approved the construction of the red brick buildings that currently make up the area of campus known as sorority row with two goals in mind. President Prout correctly believed that the new dormitories, although designed to house members of campus social organizations, would relieve some of the pressure from the

Sorority Row

housing shortage plaguing the campus during this period. Secondly, he sought to use the construction of these buildings to entice national sorority and fraternal organizations into establishing local chapters at Bowling Green. The positive results of the construction of the two initial "cottage-type dormitories" stimulated the approval of construction of the more houses that would ultimately reach a total of eleven by the year 1951. Not only did this relieve some of the pressure caused by insufficient housing, it also resulted in the establishment of the first local chapters of national sororities on campus.

Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:

  • 1940, President Prout approves plans for the construction of two "cottage-type dormitories."
  • 1941, construction completed of two "cottage-type dormitories" to house the Five Sisters and SKOLS women's social organizations.
  • 1941, President Prout approves construction of four more buildings.
  • 1942, construction completed of two more dormitories to house the Las Amigas and Three Kay societies.
  • 1943, construction completed of two more dormitories to house the Seven Sisters and Alpha Phi Epsilon women's societies.
  • 1947, plans approved for the construction of five new "cottage-type dormitories" to relieve pressure from housing shortage with plans for an additional building to be built later to house the Women's Independent Society.
  • 1948, construction completed of buildings to house the local chapters of the Chi Omega, Phi Mu, Kappa Delta, and Alpha Gamma Delta national sororities.