BGSU Historic Campus Tour

Shatzel Hall

Continue Walking Tour | Administration Tour

Shatzel Hall is an example of the rapid pace at which Bowling Green State University grew after its establishment in 1915. The University's Board of Trustees sought to relieve some of the population pressures that plagued the University in the early years of its existence when it laid the plans for Shatzel Hall. Built in 1923 at a final cost of $184,461, Shatzel Hall, named for J. E. Shatzel, Trustee from 1914-1924, would serve as a second dormitory housing 94 students. Additionally, the

Shatzel Hall

building was to house additional guest rooms, parlors, a trunk room, kitchen dinning room for nearly 200 students, rooms for the kitchen help, a laundry room, and three large cisterns. Although the building is no longer a dormitory, it remains a center of academic vitality at the University.

Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:

  • 1924, dormitory opens for occupation.
  • 1938, two rooms outfitted to serve as an infirmary for all women students.
  • 1939, building is redecorated and new furniture acquired.
  • 1951, renovation of shower rooms completed at a cost of $26,000.
  • 1953, housing restricted to women only.
  • 1954, several rooms in the basement renovated to allow for an increase in residence at Shatzel to 240 students.
  • 1956, building converted to a dormitory for men.
  • 1965, plans approved to convert dormitory to an office building although some classrooms were built in basement.
  • 1966, first academic departments move into newly converted building.
  • 1976, a fire in Ethnic Studies department did nearly $7,500 worth of damage.
  • 1990, major renovation of building takes place.
  • 1991, newly renovated building reoccupied by Ethnic Studies, Philosophy, Romance Languages, Russian, German, and East Asian Languages, and Women's Studies.