BGSU Historic Campus Tour

South Hall

Continue Walking Tour | Academic Tour

The construction of South Hall was planned as part of Bowling Green State University's long-range building program started in 1955, which included Rodgers Quadrangle, Alice Prout Residence Hall, and the Hall of Music. The building was financed with state bond-issue funds and was to house three of the University's departments. These were psychology, sociology, and

speech. The building was named South Hall because administrative officials and faculty members thought it was logical since it was on the south side of campus, it was easy to remember, and it would be functional in making it easy to locate. Today and throughout the years it has been the location of a variety of classes.

Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:

  • 1957, bids on construction take place on December 18 and estimated cost is about $774,000.
  • 1959, construction of the building on the south edge of campus facing Wooster Street is complete in August.
  • 1966, air conditioning installed costing $200,000.
  • 1969, renovation costing $387,000.
  • 1971, air conditioning in offices and classrooms.
  • 1999, roof replacement in June.