BGSU Historic Campus Tour

Kohl Hall

Continue Walking Tour | Residence Hall Tour

Although the construction of Kohl Hall took place years after many of the original buildings on campus, the building is significant in that it was the first men's dormitory on campus. Additionally, the building was the first named after a faculty member, Dr. Clayton C. Kohl. Built in 1939, the administrators of the school financed the construction of the building through the innovative practice of the private sale of revenue bonds to banks, fraternal organizations, and individuals in order to avoid using tax funds. Kohl Hall was the first of several buildings on campus financed in

Kohl Hall
this manner. Since that time, Kohl Hall has housed a variety of students, including military personnel. Currently, Kohl Hall is one of the many living options university students have on campus.

Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:

  • 1938, Board of Trustees approves plans for the construction of the first men's dormitory on campus to be named in honor of Dr. Clayton C. Kohl.
  • 1939, construction of building completed.
  • 1939, open for occupancy with a potential capacity of 162 men. Double rooms on the first floor were available to men for $1.50/week, $4.00/week for board rooms. Some single rooms were available for $2.00/week. For the third floor, school administrators implemented a co-operative program to fill the rooms at $1.50/week plus an additional 50 cents for "upkeep" per person. The basement of the building contained two dining rooms.
  • 1943-5, housed Navy V-12 military personnel.
  • 1945, number of the Navy V-12 military personnel in building reduced to relieve the housing shortage on campus.
  • 1945, upperclass women occupy building for the first time.
  • 1952, new cafeteria opens for use.
  • 1952, Board of Trustees approves plans for construction of an addition to the building that would allow for double the occupancy.
  • 1964, addition completed.
  • 2000, electrical upgrade.
  • 2002, renovation including new paint, carpet, blinds, door locks, and new furniture completed and heating system replaced.
  • 2002, renovation of the six-shower/toilet rooms, along with the upgrading to make each handicapped accessible.
  • 2002, demolition of ground floor walls and relocation of laundry facilities.
  • 2003, Chapman Living Learning Center relocated here.