BGSU Historic Campus Tour
Fraternity Row consists of a series of "cottage-type" dormitories occupied by male social organizations and built during the late 1940s. Similar to the female houses on sorority row, university administrators approved construction of the male units to relieve the on-campus housing shortage and to entice national fraternities into establishing local chapters on the Bowling Green campus. Originally built in 1947, the cottages have increased over
|the years and currently house most of the national fraternities active on campus.|
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:
- 1947, university administrators approve the construction of several "cottage-type dormitories" on campus.
- 1947, construction completed of seven houses that are occupied by Alpha Tau Omega, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Kappa Phi, Pi Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Delta Epsilon, and Sigma Nu fraternities.
- 1949, two additional houses constructed and occupied by Phi Kappa Tau fraternity and residence hall men.
- 1964, second building constructed in 1949 that housed residence hall men, reoccupied by Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.
- 1951, one more additional house constructed and occupied by Delta Zeta fraternity.
- 1973, first major renovation completed of fraternity houses constructed between 1941 and 1951. Improvements made were new carpeting, drapes, roofs, kitchen appliances, plumbing, heating facilities, furniture, windows, doors, as well as study, recreational, and laundry rooms added to smaller units.