Curriculum Resource Center
PreK- 12 Social Studies Resource Guide
The CRC collection contains social studies resources useful for (pre-service and in-service) lesson planning such as links to content standards, textbooks, activity books, award-winning literature for children and young adults, reference sources and multimedia materials.
Searching for Social Studies Resources
When using the keyword search feature in the University Libraries catalog limit by location - Curriculum Resource Center- to narrow your results to preschool through grade 12 materials. Additional limit features (i.e. availability, format, copyright date) can be applied at the same time as well.
Call Numbers: helpful when looking for activity books, textbooks and multimedia materials on site.
- Early Childhood- 372.21 / 372.83
- Middle Childhood- 372.83 / 300's / 900's
- Secondary- 300's / 900's
Sample Searches for PreK- 12 Social Studies
- NCSS materials: Linking Literature with Life, Children's Literature in Social Studies, Curriculum Standards for Social Studies, etc.
- National Center for History in the Schools units of study
- History Alive binders
- EPIC [Economic Proficiency Instructional Curriculum] materials
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Jackdaw packets of primary source documents
- Maps & Globes
- Social Studies Through Children's Literature- activities with trade books
- Civil War
- Magazines- Cobblestone, Calliope, Faces, Skipping Stones, Teaching Tolerance
- American Memory from the Library of Congress
- Ellison & Accu/Cut Dies