TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD
WITH A ROOSTER
WHO IS OFF TO SEE THE WORLD
a Webquest for grades 2 and 3
Have you ever thought what it would be like to travel to a different country? Well, now is your opportunity to do so! You, your friend, and the rooster have narrowed down 4 places you all want to visit: China, Africa, Australia, and Canada. Your job is to pick one country to visit and explore to find out about the many different animals that live in the country. After you have researched, you will print out pictures of 3 of your favorite animals that you discovered. You will then make a book about the animals of the country that you explored and report back to the rest of your classmates.
After reading the book, Roosters Off To See The World by Eric Carle, you will work with a partner to discover the following:
* select a country to explore: China, Australia, Canada, or Africa
* print out a picture of the map of the selected country
* find information and pictures of 3 different types of animals that live in the country you selected. ***Be sure to write down your information on the activity sheet and to print out a picture of the animal! You will have 1 activity sheet for each animal. Therefore, you will need 3 activity sheets.
* What to look for:
a. name of animal
b. where does the animal live? Name the country and any other information, such as the type of living environment the animal lives in (e.g., desert, forest, tropical rain forest, ocean, etc.)
c. how much does the animal weigh?
d. how tall is the animal?
e. what color is the animal?
f. what types of foods does the animal eat?
* draw a picture of the animal on the activity sheet
* share your information with the class
* computer - PC or MAC
* access to the Internet via Netscape or Explorer
* Carle, E. (1972). Rooster's Off to See the World. New York, NY: Scholastic.
* activity sheet
* information on Eric Carle: http://www.eric-carle.com
* Internet sites (bookmark these web sites):
Follow these steps to complete your quest:
1. As a class we will read Roosters Off to See the World. After, your teacher will pair you up with a partner.
2. Pick a country to explore: China, Africa, Australia, Canada
3. Click on your country's website below to see the map of the country.
4. Print out a picture of the country's map and paste it onto a blank piece of paper and label it with the country's name.
5. Print out 3 activity sheets.
6. Click on your country's website below to find information about its animals.
*** Remember, select only 3 animals.
*** you must click on an animal
5. Read the information on the web pages and gather your information about the animals. Then, complete an activity sheet for each of the animals.
6. If you are having trouble finding enough information about an animal, try these websites:
8. Print a picture of the 3 animals. We will post them around the room for everyone to see!
9. Draw a picture of the animals in the space provided on the activity sheet.
10. When everyone has completed the process, we will share our findings with the rest of the class.
You will be evaluated by the teacher and your partner.
Partner Evaluation: Circle Yes or No
1. My partner helped with the research. YES NO
2. My partner helped complete the activity sheet? YES NO
3. My partner listened to my ideas? YES NO
Teacher Evaluation: 1= no 2= attempted 3= accomplished
1. The group stayed on task? 1 2 3
2. The group completed all the tasks? 1 2 3
3. The group shared the correct information with the class? 1 2 3
4. The group worked cooperatively with one another? 1 2 3
0-4 Points- Attempted
5-9 Points- Acceptable
10-12 Points- Accomplished
Hurray, you did it! You have worked so hard to research, gather, and list the information needed. You now know a lot more about Africa, Australia, China, and Canada's animal life. Good job!
For those of you who get done early, try out this cool animal game at:
Created by Meghan Hickey, Fall 2000
Bowling Green State University Graduate Student
Pagemaster / Disclaimer
ANIMAL ACTIVITY SHEET
1. Name of animal: _____________________________________
2. Place animal lives: ___________________________________
3. Color of animal: ______________________________________
4. Weight of animal: ____________________________________
5. Height of animal: _____________________________________
6. Foods animal eats: ___________________________________