Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in Biology at Bowling Green State University!
Most of the information that you will need about our graduate programs and the application process can be found on our website. Below are some guidelines and helpful links. If you have specific questions, please feel free to contact the Graduate Coordinator .
- On-line Application to Graduate College
- Required Application Forms for the Department of Biological Sciences
- Information for International Students
- Financial Aid
The Department of Biological Sciences does not and will not tell students their potential chances of being admitted or receiving assistantship funding until all credentials have been received. Admission decisions are based on multiple factors including: undergraduate major/minor, GRE and TOEFL scores, GPA in undergraduate major and overall GPA, letters of recommendation, statement of research interest, availability of faculty advisor, etc. Admission decisions are not made until all credentials have been received.
Prerequisites for the graduate program include completion of a baccalaureate degree (for M.S. program) and a M.S. or M.A. degree (for the Ph.D. program), normally in one of the biological sciences, and completion of course work in organic chemistry and calculus. Applicants who are deficient must complete these prerequisites before the end of the first year in the program. A separate application to the Ph.D. program must be made by students completing a master's degree, even if the degree is from Bowling Green State University.
- (1) Contact prospective faculty advisors before applying
- All applicants are strongly encouraged to visit the faculty websites, identify one or more faculty members in their area of interest, and contact them in order to make sure they are accepting students BEFORE applying to the program.
- (2) Apply to the Graduate College
- Please follow the instructions on the website and submit your test scores and official transcripts as promptly as possible.
- (3) Sumbit application forms to Biological Sciences
- There are additional forms you will need to submit to complete your application to Biology including: 3 letters of reference, a reasearch statement, and the Assistantship Form.
Application checklist can be found here.
Admission and funding decisions are made competitively.
Fall Applications: Applications received by February 1 will be given priority in admission and funding. Decisions about assistantships are usually finalized by June 1. Applications must be complete by June 30 for admission for Fall semester.
Spring Applications: Applications for Spring semester are discouraged because students cannot take courses in the preferred sequence and funding is not available (except in unusual circumstances). Applications must be complete by November 30 for admission for Spring semester.
Summer Applications: The Biology Department does not accept new students in the Summer semester.
Applying to The Graduate College is easy and convenient with our online application. Your application will be instantly uploaded into our system. Once you click on "Submit," your application will arrive at the college -- no envelopes or stamps necessary! To directly access the online application, go to: http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/gradcol/page24959.html. You will also need to send all of the supporting documents to the Graduate College including: GRE scores, Official Transcripts, TOEFL scores (for International Students).
At the Graduate College homepage, you will find information on such topics as admissions, sponsored programs and research, and academic resources. Plus, you can access the Graduate Catalog for information on all of the master's and doctoral programs offered at BGSU. The Graduate College homepage can be assessed at: http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/gradcol.
There are 3 additional items that you will need to complete and send to the Department of Biology (either via mail or email to the Graduate Coordinator):
- An Application for Assistantship or Fellowship--please complete this form even if you are not requesting funding.
- Research statement: Include a written description of your motivations for attending graduate school, your specific area of interest within the Biological Sciences, previous research experience, identify up to 3 potential faculty advisors and your aspirations following receipt of the graduate degree. Form found here.
- Request that letters of recommendation from three persons acquainted with your academic experiences be sent to BGSU Department of Biological Sciences (form can be found here).
If you are an International Student, the International Student Services page is a great resource that will answer most of your questions relating to graduate study at BGSU.
Not sure how you're going to fund your graduate education? Check out the Financial Aid page, which discusses graduate assistantships, internships, co-ops, loans, and house/hall directorships, among other things. You can access the Financial Aid page through the Graduate College homepage or by going to: http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/gradcol/financial_aid1.htm/. You may apply for a Graduate Assistantship through the Department of Biological Sciences (see section on application forms for Biology).
Have questions? Contact the Biology Graduate Coordinator.