Mathematics and Statistics
Faculty Research and Selected Publications
Albert, James H.
Ph.D., Purdue University. Professor; Bayesian analysis, statistical computing and graphics, contingency tables, exploratory data analysis, statistics education, analysis of sports data.
- Albert, J. Pitching Statistics, Talent and Luck, and the Best Strikeout Seasons of All-Time, Journal of Quantitative Analysis of Sports, Vol. 2, 2006.
- Albert, J. Interpreting Probabilities and Teaching the Subjective Viewpoint, 2006 NCTM Yearbook on Thinking and Reasoning about Data and Chance.
- Albert, J. (1997), Bayesian testing and estimation of association in a two-way contingency table. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 92, 685-693.
Albert, J. and Chib, S. Regression Analysis of Binary and Polychotomous Response Data, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 88 (1993), 657-667.
- Albert, J. (1992), Bayesian estimation of normal ogive response curves using Gibbs sampling. Journal of Educational Statistics 17, 251-269.
Blok, Rieuwert J.
Ph.D., Delft University of Technology. Assistant Professor; Groups and geometries, (Twin-) Buildings, Lie type and Kac-Moody type groups.
- Polarized and homogeneous embeddings of dual polar spaces (with I. Cardinali, B De Bruyn, A. Pasini) accepted by Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics .
- A Curtis-Tits-Phan theorem for the twin-building of type Ãn-1 (with C. G. Hoffman), Journal of Algebra 321 (2009), 1196–1224
- The generating rank of the symplectic grassmannians: hyperbolic and isotropic geometry Europ. J. Combin. 28 (2007), 1368-1394.
- Extensions of isomorphisms for affine Grassmannians over F_2 (with J. I. Hall) Advances in Geometry 6 (2) (2006), 225-241.
- Topological properties of activity orders for matroid bases (with B. E. Sagan), J. Combin. Theory Ser. B 94 (1) (2005), 101--116
- Spanning point-line geometries in buildings of spherical type (with A. E. Brouwer), J. Geom. 62 (1-2) (1998), 26—35
Carothers, Neal L.
Ph.D., The Ohio State University. Professor; Banach space theory, functional analysis.
- Real Analysis, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Splitting of Banach spaces induced by Clifford algebras (with S. J. Dilworth and D. Sobecki), Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, 128 (1999), 1347-1356.
- On a localization of the UKK property and the fixed point property in Lw,1 (with S. J. Dilworth and C. J. Lennard), in Proceedings of the International Conference on the Interaction between Functional Analysis, Harmonic Analysis and Probability Theory, Marcel Dekker, 1995.
- Isometries of Lorentz Function Spaces (with R. Haydon and P. K. Lin), Israel J. Math., 84 (1993), 265-287.
- A Fixed Point Property for the Lorentz space Lp,1 (with S. J. Dilworth, C. J. Lennard, and D. A. Trautman), Indiana Univ. Math. J., 40 (1991), 345-352.
Ph.D., University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. Professor; Functional analysis, function theory, operator theory.
- Common hypercyclic vectors for the conjugate class of a hypercyclic operator,
(with Sanders), accepted, August 2010, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and
- Orbital limit points and hypercyclicity of operators on analytic function spaces,
(with Seceleanu), accepted, October 2009, Mathematical Proceedings of the Royal
- Hypercyclicity of shifts as a zero-one law of orbital limit points, (with Seceleanu),
accepted, October 2009, Journal of Operator Theory.
- An SOT-dense path of operators with common hypercyclic vectors, (with Sanders), accepted, October 2009, Journal of Operator Theory.
- Two criteria for a path of operators to have common hypercyclic vectors, (with Sanders), Journal of Operator Theory, Volume 61 (2009), 191-223.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison. Professor; Finite mixture models, statistical genetics, analysis of transformed data, empirical likelihood methods.
- Large sample interval mapping method for genetic trait loci in finite regression mixture models (with Z. Hong and Z. Li). Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 139 (2009), 764-779.
- An explicit representation of the limit of the LRT for interval mapping of quantitative trait loci (with Z. Hong and Z. Li). Statistics & Probability Letters, 78 (2008), 207-213..
- Transformed test for homogeneity of variances (with K. Islam). Journal of Probability and Statistical Science, 5 (2007), 151-170
- A logistic regression mixture model for interval mapping of genetic trait loci affecting binary phenotypes. Genetics, 172 (2006), 1349-1358.
- On some statistical aspects of the interval mapping of QTL detection (with Z. Chen). Statistica Sinica, 61 (2005), 474-480.
Chen, John T.
Ph.D., University of Sydney, Australia. Professor; Statistical inference in biostatistics, step-wise multiple comparisons, probability inequalities, multivariate analysis, statistical consulting.
- A connection between self-normalized products and stable laws (with Igor Melnykov). Statistics and Probability Letters, 77 (2007), 1662-1665.
- A two-stage estimation procedure. Biometrics, 64 (2008), 406-412.
- Inference on the Minimum Effective Dose Using Binary Data. Communication in Statistics --- Theory and Methods, 37(2008), 2124-2135.
- Disproving the un-improvability of the Bonferroni Procedure. Journal of Applied Probability and Statistics. 3 (2008), 299-304.
- Exact Simultaneous Confidence Segments for All Contrast Comparisons (with Xiaojing Lu). Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference. (2009) DOI information: 10.1016/j.jspi.2009.01.005
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh. Professor; Numerical analysis, CFD.
- A Network model for incompressible two-fluid flow and its numerical solution, Numerical Methods for PDEs, 5 (1989), 1-24.
- Convergence of nonconforming Wilson element for a class of nonlinear parabolic problems (with Q. Li), Mathematics of Computation, 54 (1990), 509-524.
- Analysis and covergence of a covolume method for the generalized Stokes problem, Mathematics of Computation, 66 (1997), 85-104.
- Mixed covolume methods for elliptic problems on triangular grids (with D. Y. Kwak and P. S. Vassilevski), SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 35 (1998), 1850-1861.
- A General mixed covolume framework for constructing conservative schemes for elliptic problems (with P. S. Vassilevski), Mathematics of Computation, 68 (1999), 991-1011.
Gupta, Arjun K.
Ph.D., Purdue University. Distinguished University Professor; Statistical inference, Modeling statistical data, Non-normal models and their applications, Developing statistical methods for multivariate data, Change point detection , Financial statistics.
- Probability and Statistical Models:Foundations for Problems in reliability and Financial Mathematics ( with Zeng and Wu ),Birkhauser Boston , 2010
- Parametric Statistical Change Point Analysis (with Chen), Birkhauser, 2000.
- Stochastic frontier analysis with fat-tailed error models ( Nguyen ) ,Far East Journal of Theoretical Statistics , 31 (2010 ) , 77-95.
- Estimation and inference for dependence in multivariate data ( with Bodnar ) , Journal of Multivariate Analysis , 101 (2010 ) 869 - 881 ..
- Testing and locating variance change points with application to stock prices (with Chen), Journal of American Statistical Association, 92 (1997), 730-747.
Ph.D., Michigan State University, Assistant Professor, Mapping class groups, low-dimensional topology.
- Superinjective simplicial maps of complexes of curves and injective homomorphisms of subgroups of mapping class groups, Topology 43 (2004), No.3, 513-541.
- Superinjective simplicial maps of complexes of curves and injective homomorphisms of subgroups of mapping class groups II, Topology and Its Applications 153 (2006) 1309-1340.
- Complexes of nonseparating curves and mapping class groups, Michigan Mathematical Journal 54 (2006) 81-110.
- Automorphisms of surface braid groups (withN.Ivanov and J.D.McCarthy), available at http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/math.GT/0306069.
- Automorphisms of the Hatcher-Thurston complex (with M .Korkmaz), Israel Journal of Math., 162 (2007) 183-196.
Ph.D., University of California-Berkeley. Professor; Banach algebras, functional analysis, several complex variables.
- How to determine your gas milage, Math. Magazine, 73 (2000), 226-231.
- C^r convergence of Picard's successive approximations, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 127 (1999), 2059-2063.
- A characterization of C(K) among the uniform algebras containing A(K), Indiana Univ. Math. J., 46 (1997), 771-788.
- Failure of polynomial approximation on polynomially convex subsets of the sphere, Bull. London Math. Soc., 28 (1996), 393-397.
- A functional analysis proof of the existence of Haar measure on locally compact abelian groups, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 115 (1992), 581-583.
McGovern, Warren Wm.
Ph.D., University of Florida. Associate Professor; Ordered algebraic structures, rings of continuous functions.
- Bazzoni's Conjecture, (with Holland, W. C., Martinez, J., and Tesemma, M.), J. Alg. 320 (2008), 1764-1768.
- Neat rings, J. Pure Applied Alg., 205 (2006) no.2, 243-265.
- Rigid extensions of l-groups of continuous functions, (with Knox, M.L.), Czech. Math. Journal, 58(133) (2008), 993-1014.
- When every projective module is a direct sum of finitely generated modules, (with Puninski, G., and Rothmaler, P.), J. Algebra, 315, (2007) 454-481.
- Feebly projectable algebraic frames and multiplicative filters of Ideals, (with Knox, M.L.), Appl. Categorical Structures, 15, no. 1-2 (2007), 3-17.
Meel, David E.
Ed.D., University of Pittsburgh. Associate Professor; Collegiate Mathematics Education, Calculus, Linear Algebra.
- E-mail dialogue journals in a college calculus classroom: A look at the implementation and benefits, Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 18(4) (1999), 387-413.
- Learning logs: Enlivening elementary linear algebra, PRIMUS, Vol. 9, No. 3, 1999, 205-225.
- Prospective teachers' understandings: Function and composite function, Issues in the Undergraduate Mathematics Preparation of School Teachers: The Journal, October 1999.
- Honor students' calculus understandings: Comparing Calculus & Mathematica and traditional calculus students. In A.H. Schoenfeld, J. Kaput, & E. Dubinsky (Eds.), Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education III, 1998, 163-215.
- Assessment in a calculator available classroom: Some considerations, Educational Assessment, Vol. 4, No. 3, 149-175.
Moses, Barbara E.
Ph.D., Indiana University. Professor; Mathematics education, problem solving.
- Beyond Problem Solving: Problem Posing, Problem Posing: Reflections and Applications, S. Brown and M. Wlater (eds.), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1993.
- IDEAS: Mathematics and Music, Arithmetic Teacher, Vol. 40, No. 4, December 1992, 215-225.
- Developing Spatial Thinking in the Middle Grades, Arithmetic Teacher, Vol. 37, No. 6, February 1990, 59-63.
- On the Tip-of-the-Tongue (Recalling Mathematical Concepts), School Science and Mathematics, Vol. 88, No. 8, December 1988, 696-704.
- The Visualization Approach to Mathematics Problem Solving, Teachings for Thinking: Creativity in the Classroom, (1984).
Nguyen, Diem M.
Ph.D., Texas A&M University. Associate Professor; Mathematics for communication and technology, coding theory, reliable computing, e-learning.
- A note on the maximum likelihood estimator of the skew parameter in a skew-normal distribution (with T. Nguyen, J. Sanqui, & A. Gupta). Far East Journal of Theoretical Statistics, Vol. 28(1) (2009), 1-8.
- Algorithmic variations and measurements of the WebMA: Online Algebra System. Electronic Journal of Mathematics and Technology, Vol. 1(2) (2007), 107-116.
- Characterizations of negative multinomial distributions based on conditional Distributions (with T. Nguyen, A. Gupta, & Y. Wang). Metrika, Vol. 66(3) (2007), 315-322.
- The impact of web-based assessment and practice on students' mathematics learning (with Y. Hsieh, & G. Allen). Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching (JCMST), Vol. 25(3) (2006), 251-279.
- A location scale family generated by a given symmetric distribution and the sample variance (with Nguyen, T, A. Gupta, & K. Dinh). Far East Journal of Theoretical Statistics, Vol. 15(2) (2005), 235-249.
Ph.D., Syracuse University. Assistant Professor; Mathematical statistics, Mixed Distributions, Change Point Analysis, Empirical Likelihood, Statistics Genetics, Survival Analysis.
- A Moment-based Test for the Mixture Distributions With Small Sample Sizes and Its Application (with L.L. Zhao). (2010) Accepted by Far East Journal of Theoretical Statistics.
- Asymptotic Properties of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimates in Generalized Linear Models (with Zhang, S.G., Liao, Y.) (2010) Accepted by Communication in Statistics-Theory and Methods.
- Change point analysis for generalized lambda distributions (with A. K. Gupta). Communication in Statistics-Simulations and Computation, 38 (2009), 1789-1802.
- A Moment-Based Test for the Homogeneity in Mixture Natural Exponential Family with Quadratic Variance Functions (with Zhang, S. G. and Yu, C.). Statistics and Probability Letters. 79 (2009), 828-834.
- A Moment- Based Test for Homogeneity in Finite Mixture Models (with Gupta, A. K., Yu., C. and Zhang, S. G.). Communication in Statistics-Theory and Methods. 38 (2009), 1371-1382.
Ph.D. BGSU. Associate Professor; Statistics, probability, computational statistics, multivariate analysis, goodness-of-fit tests, cluster analysis and classification; energy statistics.
- Statistical Computing with R, CRC Press/Chapman Hall (2008), ISBN: 9781584885450; ISBN 10: 1584885459.
- Brownian Distance Covariance (with G. J. Székely), Annals of Applied Statistics, Vol. 3, No. 4 (2009), 1236-1265.
- DISCO Analysis: A Nonparametric Extension of Analysis of Variance (with G. J. Székely), Annals of Applied Statistics, Vol. 4, No. 2 (2010), 1034-1055.
- Testing Independence by Correlation of Distances (with G. J. Székely and N. K. Bakirov), Annals of Statistics Vol. 35 No. 6, (2007), 2769-2794.
- A New Test for Multivariate Normality (with G. J. Székely), Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 93/1 (2005), 58-80.
Seubert, Steven M.
Ph.D., University of Virginia. Professor; Functional analysis, operator theory, function theory.
- Spectral Synthesis of Jordan Operators, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 249 (2000), 625-667.
- Frechet Differentiability of Parameter-dependent Analytic Semi-groups (with G. Wade), Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 232 (1999), 119-137.
- Reducing Subspaces of Analytic Toeplitz Operators on the Hardy Space H^2 (with K. Chan), Journal of Integral Equations and Operator Theory, 28 (1997), 147-157.
- Weakly outer polynomials (with Ray Cheng), Michigan Mathematical Journal, 41 (1994), 235-246.
- Chaotic Unbounded Differentiation Operators (with J. Bes and K. Chan), to appear in Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications.
Ph.D. , University of Missouri-Columbia. Assistant Professor; Mixed Models, Modeling Diagnostics, Model Selection, Multiple Comparison Procedures, Bayesian Analysis.
- Bootstrap variants of AIC for mixed model selection (with J. Cavanaugh), Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 52 (2008), 2004-2021.
- A multiple comparison procedure based on a variant of the Schwarz Information Criterion in a mixed model (2009). Accepted by Communications in Statistics-Theory and Methods.
- An assumption for the development of bootstrap variants of Akaike Information Criterion in mixed models (with J. Cavanaugh), Statistics and Probability Letters 78 (2008), 1422-1429.
- A Bayesian multiple comparison procedure for order-restricted mixed models (with J. Cavanaugh and F. Wright), International Statistical Review 76 (2008), 268-284.
- A diagnostic for assessing the influence of cases on the prediction of random effects in a mixed model (with J. Cavanaugh), Journal of Data Science 3(2) (2005), 137-151.
Ph.D., Texas A&M University. Associate Professor; Numerical Analysis, Numerical PDE, Scientific Computation.
- D.Rumsey and T. Sun, A smoothness/shock indicator for the RKDG methods, Applied Mathematics Letters, 23 (2010), p1425-1431.
- T. Sun, Numerical smoothing of Runge-Kutta schemes, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 233 (2009) p1056-1062.
- Long-time error estimation on semi-linear parabolic equations (with D. Fillipova), Computational and Applied Mathematics, 185 (2006), p1-18.
- A posteriori stability and error analysis on partially implicit schemes with subdomains, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, 21 (2005), p843-858.
- A locking-free finite element method for Naghdi shells (with J. Bramble), Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 89 (1998), 119-133.
- A Convergence Theory for fully Galerkin Approximations of Parabolic PDE in Inverse Problems, Journal of Mathematical Systems, Estimation and Control, 4(2) (1994).
- A Convergence Framework for Approximation Methods for DPS Estimation Problems (with H. T. Banks), Inverse Problems in Engineering Sciences (M. Yamaguti et al., eds.), Springer ICM-90 Satellite Proceedings, 1991, 93-99.
- Multilevel Parameter Estimation (with A. Brandt and S. F. McCormick), Prel. Proceedings of the Fifth Copper Mountain Conference on Multigrid Methods, Copper Mountain, Colorado, April 1991.
- Multigrid Solution of Linearized, Regularized Least-Squares Problems in Electrical Impedance Tomography (with S. F. McCormick), Journal of Inverse Problems 9, No. 6 (Dec. 1993), 697-713.
- Iterative SVD-based Methods for Ill-posed Problems (with C. R. Vogel), Prel. Proceedings of the 1992 Copper Mountain Conference on Iterative Methods, Copper Mountain, Colorado, April 1992; and SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical Computing, May, 1994.
Zirbel, Craig L.
Ph.D., Princeton University. Associate Professor; Applied probability, stochastic processes, RNA 3D structure and sequence variability.
- Frequency and isostericity of RNA base pairs, with Jesse Stombaugh · Eric Westhof · Neocles B. Leontis, to appear in Nucleic Acids Research. (2009)
- RNA 3D Structural Motifs: Definition, Identification, Annotation, and Database Searching, with Lorena Nasalean · Jesse Stombaugh · Neocles B. Leontis. In Non-Protein Coding RNAs, Springer Series in Biophysics , Vol. 13, pp. 1-26. Walter, Nils G.; Woodson, Sarah A.; Batey, Robert T. (Eds.) 2009.
- FR3D: Finding Local and Composite Recurrent Structural Motifs in RNA 3D Structures, with Michael Sarver · Jesse Stombaugh · Ali Mokdad · Neocles B. Leontis. Journal of Mathematical Biology. 56, Nos. 1-2, January 2008.
- Discrete velocity fields with explicitly computable Lagrangian law, with Curtis D. Bennett. Journal of Statistical Physics 111 (2003) 681--701.
- A mean-field statistical theory for the nonlinear Schrodinger equation, with Richard Jordan and Bruce Turkington. Physica D, 137 (2000), 353--378.