Mathematics and Statistics
Bowling Green State University
September 3, 2002
- Clifford Allan Long, former Professor of Mathematics and Statistics at Bowling Green State University, passed away on August 6, 2002, after a seven-year struggle with multiple myeloma;
- Cliff, as he was known to his friends, colleagues and co-workers, served in the faculty of Bowling Green State University for thirty-five years, beginning in 1959, soon after completing his PhD in Mathematics at the University of Illinois, until his retirement in 1994;
- Cliff had a distinguished career teaching undergraduate and graduate Mathematics courses at Bowling Green State University, especially in linear algebra and computer-aided design, the teaching and applications of which he helped pioneer and institutionalize in the early 1970s,
- Cliff had a special interest in computers, especially computer graphics and the visualization of mathematical ideas and played a pivotal role in the integration of computers into everyday University life through dedicated service in the University Computing Council;
- Cliff was a highly respected and well-published member of the Mathematics community, and for three years (1988-91) served in the Board of Governors of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) and in 1994, was the recipient of the MAA’s Meritorious Service Award;
- Cliff was a dedicated teacher, admired and beloved by his students as evidenced by, among other things, Cliff’s selection in 1970 and 1980 by Kappa Mu Epsilon, the Mathematics Honor Society, for its prestigious "Excellence in Teaching Mathematics Award;"
- in spite of a heavy teaching and research schedule and a myriad of off-campus service activities and commitments, Cliff was an active participant in the University’s system of shared governance, having served with distinction in the Faculty Senate for a total of twenty years, first from AY 1965-66 through AY 1970-71 and later, from AY 1972-73 through AY 1992-93 ;
- WHEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED,
- that the faculty of Bowling Green State University through its constituent assembly, the Faculty Senate, express its heartfelt condolences to Professor Clifford Allan Long’s widow, Patricia Marilyn (Lyn) Long and surviving children Steven Long, Andrew Long, Thaddeus Long and Melinda Long-Gedeon and their respective families, for their loss.
- BE IT RESOLVED FINALLY,
- that this memorial resolution be recorded in the official minutes of the Faculty Senate and that a formal copy of the resolution, signed and attested to by the Secretary of the Faculty Senate, be sent to "Lyn Long and Family" at the family residence located in 1005 Gustin Avenue, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403.