FAQs about the Telephone/Voicemail System At BGSU

Telephone Services | Policy Statement | Cell Phones | Voicemail

Faculty & Staff at BGSU


 Is there a user guide available for phones in campus offices?

A telephone user guide web site for faculty and staff is online at  www.bgsu.edu/its/phones/models/.


 Who do I call if something goes wrong with my campus phone?

To report a problem with your campus phone, go to the Technology Support Center's submission forms site and fill in the appropriate  Telephone Assistance Form or call the TSC at 2-0999.


 What phone numbers have changed now that the University has made the transition to the new phone system?

Administrative, faculty and staff phone numbers remain the same as before. However, student residence rooms now have a new phone exchange with numbers beginning with  214 instead of 372. This change is due to the 372 exchange running out of numbers. The addition of the new exchange will allow the University to meet future needs for numbers.


 Do I need to dial more than five digits for on-campus calls?

On-campus calls still require the five-digit dialing, as do calls to Firelands. The only difference with on-campus calls is the change in the first digit to "4" when dialing student residence rooms.


 How about calls to and from the Firelands campus?

  • If you are at a phone on the Firelands or main campus and want to reach any 5-digit extension at either campus, you just need to dial the last five digits of the campus phone number. Also any local phone number in Huron or Bowling Green is local to either BGSU campus.
  • If you are calling to the Firelands or main campus from the Huron area (e.g. area local to 433 exchange), you should call 419-433-5560. This number connects you to an automated attendant you can use to dial any BGSU number on either campus by extension, name or office OR the BGSU Firelands operator. You can receive operator assistance from 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Friday during the academic year. Hours vary during the summer and when school is not in session.
    Note! From off campus if you use the 1-419-372 number listed in the BGSU telephone book and call the main campus long-distance directly, you will be charged for a toll call.
  • If you are calling Firelands from off-campus and are not from the Huron area (e.g. area local to 433 exchange) or the Bowling Green area (local to 372 exchange) and you are calling from the 216, 419 or 440 area, you should call 1-800-322-4787. This number connects you to an automated attendant you can use to dial any BGSU number on either campus by extension, name or office OR the BGSU Firelands operator. You can receive operator assistance from 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Friday during the academic year. Hours vary during the summer and when school is not in session.

 Are there any changes with off-campus calls, either local or long distance?

The number to dial to place an off-campus call is "9". Area code must now be dialed for all off-campus calls, due to required 10-digit dialing for all local calls and 11-digit dialing ("1" + area code + seven-digit number) for all long-distance calls.


 My calls are going directly to voice mail. How do I prevent that?

This feature can be enabled or disabled using the  Send Calls feature button if available on your phone. Another option available to anyone with a digital phone in a campus office is dialing the appropriate codes:

  • Enable (send all calls to voice mail) - Pick up the receiver and then dial  181 . Hang up after hearing the confirmation tone.
  • Disable (do not send all calls to voice mail) - Pick up the receiver and the dial  183 . Hang up after hearing the confirmation tone.

 What are the features available on most phones in faculty and administrative offices?

The new digital features are:

  • Caller ID for call originating from on or off-campus
  • One-touch access to voice mail
  • Ability to handle more than one call at a time
  • One-button busy lamp/speed dial
  • Two-way hands-free speakerphone
  • Multiple speed dial buttons

 Do all faculty, staff and graduate student offices have digital phones?

Digital phones have features that provide additional efficiency and convenience. The University standard is for all faculty, staff and graduate student offices to have digital phones.


 Have phones been placed in classrooms and labs?

Increased technology in classrooms and labs, and growing concern about safety, mandate that phones be installed in all classrooms and labs. The standard model for these areas is an analog wall phone, which has been placed in public areas as well. Classroom phones are set up for outgoing calls only.


 Can faculty and staff purchase a phone for their campus office from somewhere other than the University?

No. All phones in campus offices have been provided by the University to guarantee reliability and compatibility with the new switch. Warranty coverage on the new phone system covers only phones purchased with the new system. Only our digital phones will work with our system. Residents in dorm rooms may use their own analog phone.


 Can faculty and staff get a cell phone rather than a desk phone?

No. The University standard is a digital phone for all faculty, staff and graduate students. There are also public safety requirements that are met with desk phones that are not met with cell phones.


 If I have a modem, what is required?

If you have a University-approved modem (such as to connect a machine to verify credit cards, to provide health-related services, to access remote services available only in this way in the business office, etc.), a separate analog line will be required. Individual offices who get a new modem should call the TSC at 2-0999 and put in a work order to get it connected to the BGsupernet using a BIC. Use of a modem to dial into your campus desktop computer or to connect to the campus network is not allowed. This is a major security risk since normal controls are bypassed with connections to the campus network made this way. People who wish to connect to their campus computer from a remote location can do so through their ISP or through the Internet.


 If I have a fax machine, credit card machine or network copier, what is required?

If you have a fax machine, credit card machine or network copier, a separate analog line is required. Individual offices who get a new fax machine, credit card machine or network copier should call the TSC at 2-0999 and put in a work order to get it connected to the BGsupernet using a BIC. Speed-dial numbers must be programmed accordingly to the on-campus and off-campus dialing requirements: dial 9 to call off-campus and use mandatory 10-digit dialing for local calls and 11-digit dialing for long-distance calls. Equipment vendors should be contacted for programming instructions if necessary.


 What cordless phone and cordless headset options exist?

There are corded and cordless handsets available for digital stations. Cordless phones are only available for analog stations.


 Are there still department phones and others with more than one number?

The University standard is designed to minimize the occurrence of more than one number on a single phone. Features such as call coverage, call pickup, etc., accomplish the same goal in more easily maintained ways. Having one number per phone also has a safety purpose. Tying a phone number to a specific room facilitates emergency response. The university standard prohibits the same number from being used in multiple locations.


 Are special phones available for people with hearing and/or speech problems?

The new digital phones have volume control through the handset, and speakerphones are standard.

The University provides TTY stations, as well as phones with louder handsets, or other alerting devices to students and employees for use based on need either at a desk or in a dorm room. Contact the TSC at 2-0999 for more details or to make a request.


 Can I get call waiting?

A form of call waiting is possible for faculty and staff phones because a second caller's caller ID information is displayed on the digital phones when a second call comes in when the phone is in use. Call waiting is not available on analog phones.


 How about call blocking? Automatic callback?

Call blocking isn't available, but automatic callback (to an extension that had been busy at the time of the initial call) is among the features provided.


 Can I use my computer to make calls, or use voiceover IP in place of the voice system? How about forwarding my desk phone to my cell phone or pager?

The answer to these questions is no, primarily due to security and cost concerns.


 What options does a department have for call routing and distribution?

The University phone system has several options for this:

  • Call coverage - where the call goes if you do not answer or Send All Calls is active; coverage typically is Voicemail, but you can cover to another station, or a series of stations.
  • Call pickup - allows certain stations to pick up other stations.
  • Autoattendant - plays a recorded message with numbered options that prompt the caller to choose who or which section of a department that the caller wants to talk to.
  • Call center - an advanced option that allows the call to be processed and routed based on programming. Different programming allows time of day, number of calls waiting, number of available call takers, and other call routing criteria. Call centers can keep several calls on hold until a person in that area becomes available to take the call while playing announcements and hold music. Records of all calls are kept for statistical purposes.

 How do I change the name(s) I recorded on my initial voicemail login?

Dial into the voicemail system. From the activity menu, select 5. (5 won't be mentioned as an option). From the next set of options, select 5 again to record your name(s).


 How many days do my messages stay on the voicemail system?

Messages stay in the system for 10 days.


 Can I get my messages from any location or do I need to be at my extension on campus?

You can get messages from anywhere in the world as long as you are using a touch-tone phone. Dial into the Audix system from an on campus phone at 2-9622, use the prefix '419-37' for local calls (ex. 419-372-9622) or '1-419-37' for long distance calls (ex.1-419-372-9622). When you hear the prompt "enter extension and # (pound) sign", enter your (5) digit extension (ex. 2-3333). You will not be able to login if you dial all 7 digits or just the last 4 digits. Although you will be prompted to enter your password, you will eventually get the error "login incorrect" if you don't use 5 digits.


 When do calls go to voicemail?

If your phone is not answered within 4 rings, the call will transfer to voicemail. Or, if you are on the phone when someone calls, your voicemail will automatically answer.


 What does "Contact your system administrator" mean?

This means your voicemail box has been locked and you need to dial 419-372-0999 and put in a request to have your voicemail box unlocked. You will be emailed or called when it has been unlocked. A voicemail box is locked when someone tries to access the system more than 3 times with the wrong password.


 What is the attended menu?

The attended menu is option #3 on the multiple voicemail box configuration. If you are using that configuration, you Must record the attended menu before you can get any messages. If you have not recorded the attended menu, callers will hear this message, "Attended menu not recorded, please try again later."


 What does option #1 "To Record Messages" really do?

This option is often mistaken as the one to use to record a greeting. What it really does is "Send" a message through the voicemail system to one or more people without actually ringing their phone. This feature can be useful in several situations. For example you can use it late at night when you don't want to wake someone up but still want to leave a voicemail message. You can also send a message to yourself as a reminder of an appointment.


 How do I know I have new voicemail messages?

The light next to the letter icon on the right corner of your phone will turn red.


 Why do I have to press **X to exit the system.

This will insure that you are disconnected from the voicemail system. If you don't do this, you could get the message "multiple log-in attempts, try again later." You will usually have to call 419-372-0999 to ask for assistance. The voicemail administrator has to call Denver for assistance. It is just a good habit to just press **X when you are done. She will then say, "Goodbye".


 If I am sharing a voicemail box, how can I save a message that is not for me?

To hold a message in your new messages box, press **H. If you have listened to a message and pressed #, the message goes into your old messages box. You can listen to old messages after you listen to any new messages that have arrived.


 Can I retrieve a voicemail message I deleted?

If you have listened to a message and accidentally pressed *D to delete it, you can undelete it only if you press **U immediately after the *D command. Otherwise it cannot be retrieved.


 What should I do if I get into the wrong area of the menu system?

To return to the Activity Menu, the main menu in the voicemail system, press *R.


 What if I forget my password?

If you forget your password or experience problems with your voicemail, contact the Technology Support Center at 419-372-0999 or via e-mail by filling out their Voicemail Assistance Form at URL:  http://www.bgsu.edu/its/tsc/page9500.html.


 Can I include individuals on my calling list who do not have the voicemail system?

No, the calling lists can consist only of those individuals who also have the voicemail system.