WellAware programs offer help to become more fit, healthy
Make this the season to improve your health and vitality. The WellAware program has announced the spring schedule of employee health and wellness events and services.
All qualify for the Faculty/Staff Wellness Incentive Program, which offers the chance to win a Nintendo Wii and Wii Fit.
• Once again this year, the University and Medical Mutual are sponsoring free “Know Your Numbers” health screenings, the week of Feb. 23-27. Knowing your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, weight and other important numbers can help guide your lifestyle decisions and possibly spot trouble areas early. Hundreds of employees took advantage of this valuable service last year.
• Free sessions with a personal trainer and a registered dietitian can help get you going with a plan designed especially for you. To make an appointment with a trainer, call 2-2000. To meet with a dietitian, call 2-2271.
• Walking is the simplest and one of the most effective means to improve strength and stamina and lift your mood. Employees can walk weekdays from noon-1 p.m. and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7-8 a.m. in the Perry Field House. The Eppler track is also open for walking weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• If losing weight is one of your wellness goals, you may attend Weight Watchers at Work. Meetings are held Tuesdays at noon in 308 Bowen-Thompson Student Union.
• Safety training and ergonomic workshops are offered regularly. For a schedule, visit www.bgsu.edu/offices/envhs/page22440.html.
• Be sure to visit the annual Health Fair on April 8, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Lenhart Grand Ballroom for a wealth of useful information, screenings, free samples, games and prizes.
• A series of WellAware brown bag lunches is planned to address a variety of health concerns. All take place on Tuesdays from noon-1 p.m. in 316 Union. Coming up are:
Feb. 17—“Know Your Numbers” panel discussion
March 17—“Stealth Health Nutrition”
April 14—“Stress Management”
• The Women’s Center also offers weekly brown bag lunches from noon-1 p.m. in 107 Hanna Hall.
For more information on wellness programs for faculty and staff, visit the WellAware site at www.bgsu.edu/offices/ohr/wellaware/index.html.
January 26, 2009