Ned E. Baker, a 1950 BGSU graduate, nationally recognized health expert and Bowling Green resident, was among 30 University faculty, administrators and students inducted into BGSU’s Circle of Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) April 16.
The initiation ceremony for one of the nation’s oldest and most prestigious leadership honor societies was held in Prout Chapel.
Also inducted were Dr. Robert McKay, the Ryan Professor of biological sciences; Dolores Black, an associate professor emeritus in the School of Human Movement, Sport and Leisure Studies; Catherine Cardwell, interim vice provost for academic programs; Kimberly McBroom, chief communications officer, and Dr. Mary Ann Begley, interim associate dean of students.
In addition, two dozen students were inducted. All are juniors, seniors or graduate students. They were selected for membership based on academic achievement and demonstrated excellence and leadership in one or more of five categories: athletics; campus and community service, social and religious activities and campus government; journalism, speech and mass media; creative and performing arts, and scholarship.
While serving as program director of the Area Health Education Center at the Medical College of Ohio in Toledo, Baker was instrumental in the founding of the National Association of Local Boards of Health and served as that organization’s first president and first executive director from 1993 until his retirement in 1998. He is now an adjunct professor in the College of Health and Human Services. Recognized as a national expert on public and environmental health, Baker was awarded an honorary doctor of science degree from Bowling Green in 2009.
McKay joined the Bowling Green faculty in 1997 and was awarded a prestigious Outstanding Young Scholar Award by the University in 2001. The recipient of more than two dozen state and national research grants, his research interests center on the ecology and environmental health of Lake Erie. He is the author or co-author of more than 55 journal articles and has made more than 50 presentations at state, national and international academic conferences and seminars.
After earning a master’s degree from BGSU, Black taught physical education, English and art for seven years in several Wood County schools before returning to the University in 1963 as an associate professor. During her tenure here, she was honored by the College of Education with its Outstanding Alumna Award, Research Award and Professional Service Award. She retired in 1993. In addition to her teaching duties, Black became involved in a number of community activities, including spearheading the development and growth of the area Special Olympics program. Among other recognitions of her efforts, the gymnasium in the city’s Community Center was named the Dolores A. Black Special Olympics Gymnasium.
Cardwell joined the University staff in 1998. She served as an associate professor and chair of the Library Teaching and Learning Program before accepting her current position in January 2009. She is a member of the editorial boards of both the International Journal of eLiteracy and the Library Review.
McBroom, who is also director of marketing and communications, directs a staff of 17 and is responsible for all of the marketing, media relations, communications, photography and graphic design produced by the University. Before coming to the University in 1999, she was the external relations manager for Sunoco MidAmerica in Toledo.
Begley, who is completing her doctoral degree at BGSU, served as an associate director of residence life before accepting her current position this January. She is responsible for the coordination and management of all student activities and programs within the Office of Campus Activities. She is past president of the Ohio Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
ODK was founded in 1914 at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va. It was the first college honor society to have a national scope and honor students for meritorious leadership and service in extracurricular activities. Bowling Green’s chapter or circle was created in 1949 and since then more than 1,700 students, faculty, staff and alumni have been initiated into the University circle.