The creative efforts of BGSU staff and students were rewarded Nov. 15 at the annual Association for Women in Communications Crystal Awards, held at the main branch of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library.
Created in 1982, the Crystal Awards each year honor communications professionals in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan for excellence. A part of the profits from the awards goes to the Advancement Fund of the Toledo Professional Chapter of the association for scholarships for BGSU and University of Toledo students.
This year, there were 225 entries and 51 awards presented.
Crystal Award winners
In the photography category—
• Craig Bell, photography director, Office of Marketing and Communications, for his photo “Uncharted Waters,” which was the cover of the summer 2006 BGSU Magazine.
In the design category—
• The Office of Admissions’ Freshman Viewbook, Changing the World by Degrees, produced by the marketing and communications staff with Project Manager Fred Connor, marketing director. With photography by BGSU photographers Bell and Brad Phalin, the viewbook was designed by Communica advertising agency.
• The College of Musical Arts’ Festival Series program, designed by Cheryl Takata, creative director, marketing and communications; and written by Elaine Michalak, marketing and communications, and Tina Bunce, manager of publicity and publications for the music college.
• “Art in TARTA” vehicle graphic created by School of Art students Matt Finkhousen, Alex Chong and Heather Van Doren, and Dawson Design.
In the audiovisual/interactive category—
• The BGSU Web site, www.bgsu.edu, by project manager Connor and Dong Chen, senior Web developer, Information Technology Services; photographers Bell and Phalin; copy editors Bonnie Blankinship, Julie Carle and Kathleen Rarey, marketing and communications; design and Flash creation by visual communication and technology education student Sarah Glassford, and writing, design and creative direction by Communica.
• “Faces and Voices of Student Success” DVD cover, with design and art direction by Josh Lightle and John Kaplan and writing by Matt Fredericks, all of the College of Arts & Sciences Vision.
• “BG and You” advertising campaign television spots, from project managers Kim McBroom, associate vice president for marketing and communications, and Connor, with writing and design by Communica.
In the TV/radio category—
• WBGU-PBS’s “Playing by the Heart” documentary, produced by Tony Howard, producer/director, WBGU-PBS; directed by Lucy Long, international studies, and written by Howard and Long.
• Also, in the student media category, Laren Weber, editor of the BG News, won a Crystal for “Vet Group Battles a Relentless Enemy,” a story she wrote as an intern with The (Toledo) Blade.
Merit awards went to:
• College of Arts and Sciences’ Dimensions newsletter, produced by marketing and communications.
• BGSU Foundation Inc. 2004-05 Annual Report, produced by marketing and communications.
• Monitor Monthly, produced by marketing and communications.
• Office of Admissions’ Presidents’ Day program campaign, produced by marketing and communications.
• “Art in TARTA” vehicle graphics created by School of Art students Ben Morales, Alex Chong, Natalie Scarlett and Chris Burke, with direction by Larry Levy and Dawson Design.
• “Faces and Voices of Student Success” DVD, with design and art direction by Josh Lightle and John Kaplan and writing by Matt Fredericks, all of the College of Arts & Sciences Vision.
• “Your New Community” DVD, produced by Fredericks, with design and art direction by Lightle and Kaplan, and written by Peter Kuebeck, all of the College of Arts & Sciences.
In the student media category—
• BGSU soccer photo by VCTE student Aaron Stevenson, through a co-op with marketing and communications.
• 3-D division posters by School of Art students Brenda Bergman, Megan Carrel, Rachel Frye and Andrea Jacobowski under the direction of Amy Fidler, art.