Parade of Boats
Join us for the A Pearl in the Storm Boat Regatta at the Student Recreation Center Pond Tuesday, Sept. 18!
Show off your creative skills with The Parade of Boats.
Student groups are invited to make a boat in recognition of Tori Murden McClure’s visit to campus. McClure will judge the boats.
Groups are limited to four people. Register here.
Boat Construction Rules:
- For the parade, you will paddle your boat west to east the length of the Rec Center Pond.
- The boat has to float four people. This will require about 100 milk jugs, or as many as determined by the team.
- Primary flotation must come from “plastic bottles.” These are defined as a plastic container of any product that would be sold at a grocery store, or building supply store. The container must be a container for a product sold and NOT an item that would be purchased as a unit itself.
- Plastic bottles can be attached and held together with string, duct tape, glue, nails, screws, chewing gum or wood.
- All bottles must be visible when inspecting the boat on the ground, i.e. the boat can’t be wrapped in plastic.
- Styrofoam is not allowed for floatation purposes.
- A wood platform for sitting is allowed and expected.
- Paddles have to be hand made out of “something” that would be available at a home improvement store. You cannot use a manufactured paddle.
- Each boat must have its name clearly visible.
The categories and prize divisions are:
- Fastest boat - if you think your boat would qualify it will be hand-timed. Just asked to be timed when in the parade.
- Most sea worthy
- Least sea worthy
- BGSU Spirit boat
- Ugliest boat
- Best paddle design
- All competitors will be outfitted with a Personal Flotation Device and paddle.
- Members of Outdoor Programs will remain on the pond in kayaks as safety boats
|SCHEDULE OF EVENTS|
|1:00 pm||Welcome & Registration|
|1:30 pm||Boat Parade|
|2:00 pm||Canoe Race|