Go to BGSU web
Return to University index

History and setting of the University

Bowling Green State University is situated on a 1,338-acre campus, which includes 116 buildings. The University offers 13 associate degree programs, more than 200 undergraduate majors and programs, 13 master's degree programs in 120 fields, two specialist degree programs, and 14 doctoral programs. More than 20,000 students, including about 2,700 graduate students, attend classes on the main campus. The University enrolls another 1,500 students at BGSU Firelands and various off-campus centers. At the center of the University's academic community are more than 785 full-time faculty members, who are engaged in teaching, research and scholarship activities.

Established in 1910 as a teacher-training institution, Bowling Green held its first classes in 1914, but it was not until the following year that the first two buildings— now University Hall and Williams Hall—were ready for use. Student enrollment for that initial year totaled 304, with a faculty of 21. The first bachelor's degrees were awarded in 1917.

In 1929, the functions of Bowling Green were expanded to provide four-year degree programs in the College of Education and the College of Liberal Arts. The College of Business Administration and graduate programs were added in 1935, the year in which Bowling Green attained full university status. In 1947, the Graduate School was formed, and BGSU awarded its first doctoral degrees in English in 1963.

Beginning in 1946, extension programs of the University were offered in Sandusky, Ohio. During the next two decades, course offerings there were expanded and in 1965 a regional campus of the University was established to serve Erie, Huron and Ottawa counties. That campus is BGSU Firelands, in Huron, Ohio. BGSU Firelands, which opened for classes in 1967, offers career and technical education leading to associate degrees in 13 areas, as well as the first two years of baccalaureate degree programs.

In the 1970s, three new colleges were added to the University's curricular offerings. In 1973, the College of Health and Human Services was established to provide degree programs in specialized areas in various health and community service fields. In 1975, the School of Music was expanded into the College of Musical Arts, and in the same year the Graduate School became the Graduate College. The School of Technology was granted college status in 1985. Included among the buildings on Bowling Green's main campus are some that were completed as early as 1915; many of these have been recently refurbished to preserve their original structure. Most are equipped with ramps and ground-level entrances for individuals with disabilities.

Jerome Library is the heart of the academic community. BGSU Libraries house collections of more than six million items including books, journals, periodicals, microforms, government documents, sound recordings and other research materials. The library is linked by computer to a powerful statewide library and information system. In addition the library is nationally known for its special collections, particularly in popular culture, popular music and the Great Lakes.

Among the facilities in the science-research complex are the Psychology Building, the Mathematical Sciences Building, the Life Sciences Building, Overman Hall, the Biological Sciences Laboratory Annex and the Physical Sciences Laboratory Building. These provide specialized research equipment and laboratories to serve the needs of students in a variety of disciplines.

Olscamp Hall, opened in 1994, is a distance learning center, housing three teleteaching rooms as well as traditional classrooms. Each teleteaching room contains VCRs, slide projectors, an audio system, a computer with graphics capabilities and a remote video camera. Microphones are built into each student desk and the teaching podium. Communication can take place remotely via cable, telephone lines and satellite, bringing together classes at remote sites in interactive learning.

The Technology Building contains a robotics center and specialized laboratories in design, electronics, manufacturing, visual communication and other technologies.

Art facilities include individual studios for design and workshops for such areas as jewelry making, woodworking, painting, drawing, enameling, weaving, sculpture, ceramics and glass blowing. Photography laboratories are also available. Two art galleries located in the Fine Arts Center annually feature works by faculty and students, as well as traveling exhibits.

The campus radio stations, WFAL-AM and WBGU-FM, provide students with practical experience in daily station operations. Students also support the professional staff in the programming and activities of WBGU-TV, a public television station located on campus serving northwest Ohio.

Theatre students at the University have many opportunities to participate in all phases of the theatre experience through annual productions held in University Hall's Eva Marie Saint Theatre as well as the Joe E. Brown Theatre.

The Moore Musical Arts Center provides extensive and modern facilities for the University's music programs and activities. Constructed around an open courtyard, the music center includes an 850-seat concert hall, a 250-seat recital hall, as well as practice rooms, rehearsal halls, classrooms, studios and a variety of special facilities designed for specific areas of performance and instruction.

Athletic facilities at the University include: the Perry Field House, which has an indoor track, basketball courts, and a 70-yard artificial turf field for football, soccer, baseball and softball; an 18-hole golf course; a 5,000-seat ice arena; 25 outdoor tennis courts; the Eppler Complex; 5,000-seat Anderson Arena (basketball and volleyball); 30,500-seat Doyt Perry Stadium; Steller Field, which seats 2,000 for baseball; Falcon Softball Complex; Whittaker Track; Cochrane Soccer Field; numerous activity and practice fields; and Cooper Pool at the Student Recreation Center where the swimming team competes.

The Student Recreation Center features exercise facilities in a four-level complex, including two swimming pools, a whirlpool/spa, 14 handball/racquetball courts, Universal/Nautilus areas, courts for basketball, volleyball, tennis, squash and badminton, FITWELL Lab, aerobics and an outdoor lighted Pace Trail.

The new Bowen-Thompson Student Union, reopened in early 2002, provides space for the offices of student life and campus involvement as well as approximately 40 student organizations. It provides the following student programs:

  • Large food court, national brand burger restaurant and restaurant with table and buffet service;
  • Movie and special events theatre;
  • Multicultural and off-campus centers;
  • Campus bookstore;
  • Sports pub with food, games and music;
  • Lenhart Grand Ballroom;
  • Multi-purpose room and 14 meeting rooms to serve a variety of group sizes;
  • BGSU Copy Shop and postal services;
  • Student Union Information Center and Fact Line;
  • TV lounge;
  • Financial and ATM services;
  • A state-of-the-art microcomputer lab and laptop Internet connections in most public seating areas.

The Mileti Alumni Center is the hub for the many activities of the University's alumni. It contains meeting rooms, a library and office space.

Other campus buildings house classrooms and facilities for programs in business administration, education and the humanities.

Go to BGSU web
Office of Registration & Records
110 Administration Building
Bowling Green State University

Bowling Green, OH 43403
Phone: (419) 372-8441; Fax: (419) 372-7977
Copyright © 2003: Bowling Green State University
Last updated 4/1/2003|Pagemaster |Disclaimer
Explore the BGSU web Go to BGSU web