1999-2001 Undergraduate Catalog

College of Education and Human Development

444 Education, 372-7401


College administration

Office of the Dean

  • Les Sternberg, Ph.D., dean, 444 Education, 372-7403
  • Steven C. Russell, Ph.D., associate dean for academic affairs, 444 Education, 372-7401
  • Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Student Services

  • Ellen Williams, Ph.D., associate dean for student affairs, 455 Education, 372-7407
  • Office of Undergraduate Student Services

  • Kim Grilliot, M.Ed., director, 365 Education, 372-7372
  • Diane Smith, M.Ed, assistant director, 365 Education, 372-7389
  • Charlie Andrews, M.A., program counselor, 365 Education, 372-7372
  • Bridgette Tussing, B.A., program counselor, 365 Education, 372-7372
  • Technology services
    215 Education, 372-7392


  • School of Family and Consumer Sciences, Thomas R. Chibucos, Ph.D., director,
    217 Johnston Hall, 372-7823
  • School of Human Movement Sport and Leisure Studies, Mary Ann Roberton, Ph.D.,
    director, 117 Eppler Center, 372-2334
  • School of Leadership and Policy Studies
  • School of Education and Intervention Services

    Academic mission/objectives

    The College of Education and Human Development (EDHD) has two primary purposes: to provide coursework that contributes to the general education program of the University, and to provide programs that are exemplars of professional school endeavors; that is, programs that lead to graduates assuming various careers. In EDHD these career foci include the fields of education, sport management, exercise, recreation, dance, health promotion, human movement science, child and family community services, interior design, apparel merchandising and product development, nutrition, and child and family development.



    To meet the challenges of the education and human development world, the academic programs in the College of Education and Human Development require high standards of performance. Programs are designed to provide an intellectual challenge to a student who wishes to assume the responsibility for tomorrow's leadership.

    The College of Education and Human Development is a fully accredited member of the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Ohio Department of Education, National Recreation and Park Association, the American Association for the Education of Young Children, American Dietetic Association, National Association for Sport and Physical Education, North American Society for Sport Management and the Council on Rehabilitation Education.


    Organization of the college

    The College of Education and Human Development's academic structure consists of four schools.

    School of Family and
    Consumer Sciences

    The School of Family and Consumer Sciences provides students with the opportunity to advance and apply knowledge about individuals and families as well as the environmental and other contexts of human development across the life span. Students are educated from a perspective that emphasizes interdisciplinary study and integration of information across areas of disciplinary specialization within the school, with other academic disciplines and in cooperation with other societal institutions. The school provides undergraduate programs through five program areas with majors in apparel merchandising and product development, child and family community services, dietetics, early childhood studies, family and consumer sciences education, health promotion and interior design. Student organizations related to each major provide the opportunity for broadening the educational experience, exploring career and graduate-level options and developing collegial relationships.

    School of Human Movement,
    Sport and Leisure Studies

    Degree programs offered by the School of Human Movement, Sport and Leisure Studies are organized into divisions and two program areas. The two program areas are the Graduate Program (HMSL) and the Physical Education General Program (PEG). The physical education general program offers instruction in physical activity/movement/dance forms to the general University student. These classes take advantage of the modern facilities available in the Gertrude M. Eppler complex, the Student Recreation Center, the Perry Fieldhouse and the ice arena.

    Students majoring in recreation and tourism (RTD) or sport management (SMD) are preparing to work in the sport/recreation industries or nonprofit agencies (SMRT division). An additional sport management option prepares students to be athletic trainers/clinic managers. Students in the kinesiology division (KNS) study a variety of careers dealing with human movement. They can become pre-K through twelve physical educators or clinical exercise specialists. Majors in dance focus on modern dance and ballet performance/choreography or teaching in non-school settings. Human movement science majors often use their degree as a pre-medical or pre-physical therapy degree.

    Each division has active student organizations that help students explore the career and graduate school opportunities within their majors.

    School of Leadership and
    Policy Studies

    The School of Leadership and Policy Studies prepares educators to assume leadership roles in formulating and implementing administrative policy to all levels of education. A variety of graduate preparation programs are offered to meet the needs of individuals wishing to begin or continue their graduate education for eventual placement within educational settings ranging from elementary through higher education. In addition to the formal graduate degree programs, the school provides programmatic support for both graduate and undergraduate education in the areas of history and philosophy of education, comparative education, educational psychology and research methodology.

    School of Education and Intervention Services

    Degree programs offered through the School of Education and Intervention Services prepare individuals to work in school and clinical settings. All of the programs enable students to become licensed/endorsed through state licensing boards. Programs include: art education, classroom technology, gifted and talented, guidance and counseling, foreign languages, intervention specialist, middle childhood education, reading, rehabilitation counseling, adolescent/young adult education and school psychology.



    Two types of advising are available to students enrolled in the College of Education and Human Development: faculty advising and college office advising.

    Upon enrolling in the college each student is assigned to a faculty adviser. Faculty advisers assist their advisees in career-decision making, selecting appropriate classes, checking progress toward a degree and long-range program planning.

    To supplement faculty advising the college maintains a staff of advisers in the Undergraduate Student Services office, located in 365 Education. The college staff provides initial advisement for all students entering the college and supplements the advising at the faculty/departmental level. This staff can also explain certification/licensure and appeals procedures and help students explore career options.

    The responsibility of contacting a faculty or college office adviser rests with the student. Students are given a general orientation to the college upon their initial enrollment in the college, are assigned a faculty adviser, are introduced to the services of the Undergraduate Student Services office and are periodically sent communications from the college. It is each student's responsibility, however, to seek advice, to become familiar with the academic information available in the University or college offices and the Undergraduate Catalog, and to meet the established graduation and/or certification/licensure requirements. Program revision, certification/licensure changes and shifts in the demands of the marketplace support a close adviser/student relationship.


    Special opportunities

    Coursework in the College of Education and Human Development is infused with field experiences and with in-depth internship
    experiences. Study abroad experiences and National Student Exchange opportunities are strongly encouraged.

    The College of Education and Human Development offers teacher education majors the opportunity to complete their student teaching internship in an international setting. Selected students are placed in an international school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, or Montreal, Canada, for a student teaching internship program (see p. 16). The college also offers a semester abroad program at Keele University in England.

    The Sport Management/Recreation and Tourism (SMRT) and Kinesiology (KNS) divisions of the School of Human Movement, Sport and Leisure Studies have exchange agreements with the University of Brighton and with the Chelsea School of Physical Education, Sports Science, Dance and Leisure at East Sussex, England. Additional opportunities are available through the SMRT division at Southern Cross University in Lismore, Australia (see p. 14).

    Students interested in exploring these special opportunities should direct initial inquiries to the Office of Undergraduate Student Services, 365 Education.


    Transfer students

    Students wishing to transfer from another college or from the Office of Pre-major Advising on main campus to the College of Education and Human Development must have an overall GPA of 2.0. Students need to go to their college office and fill out a transfer form.

    Students wishing to transfer to main campus from the Firelands campus must have an overall GPA of 2.0. Advisers from main campus visit the Firelands campus during the fall and spring semesters to advise students on the transfer process.

    Students with satisfactory records from other colleges and universities may enroll in the College of Education and Human Development after review of official transcripts and admission to Bowling Green State University. Grades are not transferred to BGSU from other institutions. (See also Admissions, p. 27.)


    College retention/full acceptance requirements

    Several programs in the College of Education and Human Development have established retention/full acceptance requirements in addition to those specified by the college. For specific eligibility requirements, direct inquiries to the Undergraduate Student Services office, 365 Education.


    Schools of Family & Consumer Sciences, Education & Intervention Services, Human Movement, Sport & Leisure Studies

    Teacher education certification/licensure program requirements

    Students registered as majors in teacher certification/licensure programs will be considered full members of the college when they have:

  • 1. completed ENG 112;
  • 2. completed IPC 102 with a "C" or better;
  • 3. completed EDCI/EDFI 202 or a program alternative accepted by the college with a "C" or better;
  • 4. attained a 2.5 BGSU accumulative grade point average.
  • A teacher education student who fails to meet these criteria upon attaining junior status will not be permitted to enroll in the methods courses indicated on program area checksheets.

    Students who are declared ineligible for methods courses have the right to appeal the decision. Contact the Undergraduate Student Services office, 365 Education, for information on appeals.

    Eligibility for assignment in a student teaching internship

    A student must have:

  • 1. filed an application for the student teaching internship at a sign-up meeting held the second Wednesday of fall semester for students planning to student teach the following spring and/or fall semester (information is available in 365 Education);
  • 2. been fully admitted into the College of Education and Human Development;
  • 3. been fully accepted in a certification/licensure program either as an undergraduate or baccalaureate degree holder;
  • 4. completed 90 hours of University credit, including EDFI 302 and methods course(s) required for the program;
  • 5. completed any additional program specific requirements listed on the official program checksheet available from the Undergraduate Student Services office;
  • 6. earned an accumulative grade point average of 2.5 by the end of the semester prior to student teaching.
  • The college attempts to place student teachers in the best available stations. While student preferences are taken into consideration, they cannot be met in all cases. Stations must have both college and program approval. Students are responsible for their own transportation to student teaching stations.

    All students who student teach in the spring semester must follow the spring break calendar of the school system to which they have been assigned; the University spring break is forfeited.

    Upon completion of student teaching, students receive a copy of their student teaching evaluation report. Students should retain this copy for their records and future reference since the University does not include/retain this report/evaluation as part of the permanent record.

    Students who are declared ineligible for student teaching have the right to appeal the decision. Contact the Undergraduate Student Services office, 365 Education, for information on appeals.


    School of Human Movement, Sport and Leisure Studies

    Internship program requirements

    Exercise specialist

  • 1. 55 hours in major and field;
  • 2. satisfactory completion of KNS 387;
  • 3. overall GPA of 2.5;
  • 4. GPA of 2.7 in KNS 229, 230, 360, 361, 370, 423, 429, 387/487;
  • 5. certification in CPR and first aid.
  • Recreation and tourism

  • 1. 90 total hours and program matriculation (including RTD 190, 210);
  • 2. satisfactory completion of RTD 190, 210, 384, 385, 386, 387;
  • 3. overall GPA of 2.5.
  • Sport management

  • 1. 52 hours in major and program matriculation;
  • 2. satisfactory completion of SMD 387;
  • 3. overall GPA of 2.5;
  • 4. major GPA of 2.7.


    Successful completion of a BGSU teacher education program with at least a 2.5 accumulative GPA usually results in one or more types of Ohio certificates/licensures. The only times that certification/licensure does not result are 1. when a student does not successfully complete the state-mandated competency examination; 2. when a student elects to graduate on planned program (see below), or 3. when a student is following a set of degree requirements that no longer meets Ohio teacher certification/licensure standards. Because the State Dept. of Education has the authority to change certification/licensure requirements at any time, students may be required to complete additional requirements for certification/licensure. New standards went into effect July 1, 1998. Students who began the teacher education program prior to that date will have until Aug. 31, 2002, to complete the specified program/testing requirements. Failure to complete program/testing requirements and certification/licensure
    application by this date will require the student to meet the July 1, 1998, standards.

    All candidates seeking Ohio teacher certification/licensure must have a background check completed and must fill out an application(s) for certification/licensure. Applications, fingerprint cards and directions for completing them are available from the Undergraduate Student Services office or at the student teaching internship meeting that occurs the day before student teaching begins. Completed certification/licensure applications and money orders should be submitted to 365 Education by the end of the second week of the student's final term of enrollment.

    Ohio teaching certificates/licensures are not transferable to other states, but preliminary information on certification/licensure in other states is available in 365 Education.


    Planned program (graduation without certification/licensure)

    Some students in the College of Education and Human Development decide late in the four-year sequence that they do not wish to teach or obtain teacher certification/licensure. Others may be counseled out of the teaching profession by advisers and professional education faculty. To accommodate such students, the college has a plan whereby students admitted to a program with at least a 2.5 accumulative grade point average can graduate but not be eligible for certification/licensure.

    Students desiring to graduate under the planned program must complete a Planned Program Form, obtainable from and returnable to the Undergraduate Student Services office, 365 Education. If a planned program is approved, the student is not eligible for certification/licensure and the student's official record in the registrar's office indicates "Not Eligible for Teacher Certification." If a student decides to pursue certification/licensure after a planned program has been approved, he or she must file an appeal to be removed from the planned program. Such a petition cannot be submitted any sooner than one year before the student's anticipated graduation date. If approved the candidate must meet the requirements for student teaching internship and certification/licensure eligibility in effect at the time of the desired student teaching and/or recommendation for certification/licensure.

    Back to catalog table of contents.

    99-08-01 / webmaster@bgnet.bgsu.edu / Disclaimer