1999-2001 Undergraduate Catalog

Housing and Dining

Office of Residence Life
440 Saddlemire Student Services Building, 372-2011

University residences

Bowling Green is primarily a residential University. More than 6,000 undergraduate students live in residence.

University residences provide a physical environment designed to further the academic, cultural and personal development of resident students. A wide range of living options is available to students and a wide variety of educational and social programs are offered.

Undergraduate students are required to reside in University-owned living units as a condition of enrollment unless they are commuting daily from the permanent homes of their parents, guardian or spouse; or unless they have attained 60 earned academic hours and/or four semesters of on-campus residency on or before the first day of classes for fall semester. For the purposes of this regulation, a permanent home is defined as the actual and regular place of residence in the community in which the parent, guardian or spouse is eligible to register to vote. A guardian is defined as a person awarded legal guardianship by a court of competent jurisdiction. The on-campus housing agreement is an agreement for the entire academic year. A student must be in compliance with the University housing policy as a condition for applying to be an exception to the policy.

Accommodations in University residences are available to any University student regardless of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, handicap or sexual orientation.

The Office of Residence Life is responsible for the assignment of all students to on-campus housing accommodations. This office processes all housing applications and roommate requests for assignment to the 17 residence halls and 31 small group living units.

The Office of Residence Life is responsible for the operation, staffing and programming of all University residences, including sorority and fraternity houses. A trained
housing staff including undergraduate advisers (R.A.s) is present to help students derive the fullest possible benefits from the residence life experience.

On-campus housing regulations

Responsibility for personal effects

During a student's residence on campus, every effort is made to provide a safe and supportive environment for students. However, the University cannot assume responsibility for loss or damage to personal effects of the student or guests of the University. If a student's parents have a blanket homeowner's insurance policy, the student's personal effects may be listed and covered in such a policy.

Generally, each room is completely furnished except for linens, pillows, blankets and personal toiletries.

For detailed information regarding services and accommodations available contact the Office of Residence Life.

Occupancy of rooms

Each student is required to vacate and remove personal belongings from the University residence after the close of final examinations for the spring semester, except for the student who receives a degree at the May commencement. Such a student may remain in the University residence up to a designated hour on commencement day.

A student in good standing with the University is not required to clear the room of possessions at the close of the fall semester unless that person has failed to acquire a paid on-campus housing reservation for the succeeding semester. A resident who has not paid for additional accommodations, however, is required to vacate the room and remove personal belongings within 24 hours after the close of semester examinations.

The University is committed to maintaining pleasant living conditions in its residences. The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to remove an occupant at any time for violations of University and/or residence policies. Anyone found residing in University facilities who has not paid for accommodations, who is not a lawful resident of that facility or who is found in a closed building may be charged with trespassing. The University reserves the right to assign, inspect, maintain and make repairs in residences at any time during the school year.

Vacation periods

Most University residences are closed during vacation periods. However, certain designated buildings are open during vacation periods and residents may remain over the Thanksgiving and spring recesses or between semesters for a nominal daily fee. The dining halls will not be open during the vacation periods. The Office of Residence Life can assist in making these arrangements.

Change of assignment

If, for some reason, a student should find it necessary to change his or her on-campus assignment, such a change must be approved and processed by the Office of Residence Life in advance of the proposed move.

Off-campus housing

The Off-Campus Housing Office, located in Moseley Hall within the Off-Campus Student Center, cooperates with students eligible to live off campus (equivalent of four semesters and/or 60 earned academic hours) by providing housing information from rental agencies and private individuals on a regular basis.

The office provides information concerning subletting an apartment, public utilities, roommate locator information, a landlord-tenant booklet compiled by the city's housing commission and a checklist for students moving into off-campus housing. Information on the Student Legal Service and a sample copy of a lease agreement are also available.

No facilities in town are inspected by University or city officials. Rental agencies must agree to the rules of the Ohio Landlord-Tenant Act, Chapter 5321 of the Ohio Revised Code.

A student who lives off campus does so accepting individual responsibility. A contractual agreement exists between the student and the landlord exclusive of the University.

Back to catalog table of contents.

99-08-01 / webmaster@bgnet.bgsu.edu / Disclaimer