1999-2001 Undergraduate Catalog

Registration and Records

Office of Registration and Records
110 Administration Building, 372-8441

The Office of Registration and Records is responsible for each student's class registration and academic record. In addition the office compiles the schedule of classes with the assistance of academic "WP" departments and colleges. Other services provided are the evaluation of transfer credit, certification for benefits under the Veterans Education and Social Security Acts, issuance of student transcripts, readmission of former students, admission of guest students, certification for eligibility in athletics, membership in honor societies, ordering and distribution of diplomas, clarification of residency for tuition purposes, processing of credit by exams and various other academic student-related functions.

Student records policies

The BGSU ID number is used for identification and record-keeping purposes throughout a student's attendance at the University. However, federal and state laws and regulations require the University to retain a student's social security number for identification and record-keeping purposes. Students are requested to report their social security number voluntarily upon enrollment at the University.

The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They include:

  • · The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.
  • · The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.
  • · The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  • · The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Dept. of Education concerning alleged failures by Bowling Green State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
  • Students are notified of their FERPA rights annually by publication in the Student Affairs Handbook.

    Transcripts of credit

    An official transcript of a student's record is used for transferring credits to other colleges and universities and for transmitting information to certifying agencies and employers. An official transcript is issued only at the written request of the student. A transcript is not released for a student who is delinquent in any financial obligation to the University. Requests for transcripts to be picked up in person by the student should be submitted at least 24 hours in advance to the Office of Registration and Records. Photo identification is required.

    Transcripts from other institutions that have been presented for admission or evaluation become part of the student's permanent academic file and are not returned nor copied for distribution. Students desiring transcripts covering work completed elsewhere should request them from the institutions concerned.

    Academic load

    A full-time undergraduate is defined as a student registered for 12 or more semester hours. A full-time student normally should be registered for 15 to 16 hours per semester. The academic load of a regular undergraduate student should not be fewer than 12 hours at any time. Enrollment for more than 18 hours requires the approval of the office of the college dean in which the student is enrolled; such enrollment will be reviewed in accordance with the policies of the respective college. Based upon institutional policy, students registered for COOP 050 and TECH 289/389/489 are considered to be enrolled in a full-time academic experience at BGSU.

    Registration schedule

    Registration for the fall and spring semesters consists of two phases: continuing student registration and open registration. During the summer semester, only open registration is used.

    Continuing student registration allows currently enrolled students and students previously admitted but not currently enrolled access to the telephone registration system in accordance with a schedule that is published in advance in the Schedule of Classes and on the World Wide Web. New students and guest students participate in open registration. New students customarily enroll during an Orientation/Registration program that also involves placement testing and an introduction to the campus. Guest students must complete a Guest Application Form before participating in open registration, and previously admitted students who are not currently enrolled must be readmitted. Applications for readmission and Guest Student Applications can be obtained from the Office of Registration and Records. Applications for admission to a degree program can be obtained from the Office of Admissions, 110 McFall Center, 372-2086.

    Students registering late must pay their fees by 5 p.m. on the last working day prior to the start of the semester or their registrations may be canceled. Students registering on or after the last working day prior to the start of the semester must prepay their fees and obtain a bursar clearance prior to registration. The registrations are subject to late registration and late payment fees.


    After the initial registration period has been completed, all changes must comply with the policy of the college in which the student is enrolled. An undergraduate may enroll in a course within seven calendar days from the beginning of classes during the semester. After this time a student may add a course only with permission of the college dean.

    A student may change the grading option (graded or "S/U") for a specific course only during the first seven calendar days of a given semester. Seven calendar days are allowed for a student to drop a class with no record on the transcript. After these dates exceptions may be granted only by the dean of the student's college.

    During summer term, students may register for courses, add, change grade options or drop during the first three calendar days of a given session.

    An undergraduate who drops a course during the second through the ninth week of a semester may either receive a grade of

    "WP" (withdrawn passing) or "WF" (withdrawn failing) according to the student's standing in the course. A grade of "WF" is assigned to courses that the student ceases to attend without permission. Any student terminating attendance in an "S/U" course without officially dropping the course or withdrawing from the University will receive a "WF". See also Grading policies.


    A student who wishes to attend a class without receiving credit for it may register to audit that course. A per-hour instruction fee is charged as if the student had registered for the course for credit. Students may add classes for audit status or change to or from audit status during the first seven calendar days of the fall or spring semesters or the first three calendar days of any summer session.

    Registration and records policies

    Change of address

    To assure prompt receipt of grades and schedules, a student should report any change in their address to one of the following offices: Admissions, Bursar, Financial Aid, Student Employment, Graduate Admissions, Registration and Records or Residence Life.

    Change of personal information

    Changes to student personal information should be reported to the Office of Registration and Records. For name changes, two documents are required: one with the new name and one with the former name. One of these must contain a photo. Documents could include a court order, a marriage license or a driver's license.

    For a change of student social security number or birthdate, the student must provide photo identification and a document containing the correct information.


    The Veterans Affairs Office is located within the Office of Registration and Records. The office certifies all students eligible for Veterans Affairs educational benefits under Chapter 31 (Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations), Chapters 30, 32 and 35 (Title 38, United States code), and Chapter 106 (Title 10, United States Code). Students applying for veterans benefits must provide a copy of member 4 of the DD 214 form, Report of Separation from the Armed Forces. Questions should be referred to the Office of Registration and Records.


    Certification for loan deferments, good student automobile insurance discounts, health insurance and degree, scholarship and enrollment verifications are processed in the Office of Registration and Records when requested by the student.

    Credit for concurrent enrollment/guest student status

    Under some circumstances, students enrolled at another university or those who wish to take a limited number of courses without applying for formal admission may take courses for credit at BGSU. See Admissions. Applications for concurrent enrollment and guest student status are available in the Office of Registration and Records.

    Back to catalog table of contents.

    99-08-01 / webmaster@bgnet.bgsu.edu / Disclaimer