Disability Services

Disability Services Complaint Procedure

Disability Services
Student Concern Resolution

The Office of Disability Services provides services to students, faulty, and staff.  When the services do not meet your expectations, we encourage you to register your concerns following the four-step procedure listed below.

Step 1:  Disabilities Counselor

You should discuss your concern(s) with your assigned Disability Counselor.  If a satisfactory solution is not reached, you can proceed to the second step, a written appeal to the Director of Disability Services.  In general, issues that proceed to the next step include the following:

  • Procedural error by the Disability Services staff
  • Violation of policy by the Disability Services staff
  • Eligibility for services criteria
  • Appropriateness of accommodations
  • Reasonableness of accommodations
  • Mitigating circumstances

Step 2:  Director of Disability Services

The Director of Disability Services must receive your appeal within 15 working days following the outcome of the first step, described above. Your written appeal to the Director of Disability Services must include:

1.  A description of the issue including significant dates
2.  The basis for the appeal and any supporting documentation as necessary
3.  The resolution requested

After the Director receives your concern(s) you may expect:

1.  An interview
2.  A review of relevant written materials
3.  Interviews with relevant individuals
4.  A written response from the Director within 15 working days of the date that the appeal was received. Summer and inter-semester breaks are not included in these time frames.

If you disagree with the findings or the resolution offered by the Director, you can appeal to the Office of Equity and Diversity.

Step 3:  Office of Equity and Diversity

When Filing a final appeal with the Office of Equity and Diversity, you should provide:

1.  Your written appeal and supporting documentation
2.  The response to your appeal from the Director of Disability Services

NOTE:  Concerns involving administrative or staff actions, policies, and procedures that are beyond the responsibility of the Office of Disability Services should follow the applicable Bowling Green State University Grievance procedures.  Please contact Human Resources for additional information.

Step 4:  Office of Civil Rights

Filing a Section 504/ADA complaint with the responsible federal agency does not impair your right to a prompt and equitable resolution of your complaint.  To pursue your complaint with the regional agency, you may contact:

Regional Office XII
Michigan, Ohio
Office for Civil Rights, Cleveland Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Superior, East
Bank One Center, Room 750
Cleveland, OH  44114-2611
Phone: 216-522-4970
Fax:  216-522-2573
TDD:  816-891-0582

Retaliation against any person who files a complaint of alleged discrimination, participates in an investigation, or opposes a discriminatory employment or education practice of policy is prohibited by University policy, by federal, and by state law.

Revised 2-2-06