Office of Multicultural Affairs
The Hunger Challenge
** Information about the 2013 Falcon Hunger Challenge will be made available in late Summer **
BGSU Office of Multicultural Affairs
The Falcon Hunger Challenge 2012
Monday, November 5, 2012 and last through Sunday, November 11, 2012
Background: In 2011, 1.75 million Ohioans received food assistance benefits, more commonly known as SNAP or food stamps. During the Challenge, participants will limit their total food purchases to the weekly budget of a typical food assistance benefits recipient, which is $33 per week.
Goal: The goal of the Falcon Hunger Challenge is to increase awareness about poverty and hunger in Ohio, including many here in Bowling Green and at BGSU, by facilitating a meaningful personal experience for participants. While living on a food stamp budget for just one week cannot come close to the struggles encountered by low-income families week after week and month after month, it does provide those who take the Challenge with a new perspective and greater understanding.
The 2012 Falcon Hunger Challenge will begin Monday, November 5, 2012 and last through Sunday, November 11, 2012.During this week, we ask participants to limit their food purchases to $33 for the week. In addition we are requesting that participants share their experiences by writing journal entry emails to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining how the Challenge impacts their everyday lives. Your thoughts will be brought together and posted to the Office of Multicultural Affairs website at the conclusion of the Challenge, making public these meaningful personal experiences.
What items can I purchase with my $33 during the Food Stamp Challenge?
Challenge participants should spend their food stamp budget of $33 only on items eligible for purchase through the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. As per USDA guidelines:
You CAN use SNAP benefits to buy foods for the household to eat, such as breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables, meats, fish and poultry, and dairy products. You can also buy seeds and plants that produce food for the household to eat.
You CANNOT use SNAP Benefits to buy beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco; any nonfood items, such as pet foods, soaps, paper products and household supplies; vitamins and medicines; food that will be eaten in the store; and hot foods.
How can I participate in the Falcon Hunger Challenge?
- Register by emailing your name and E-mail address to email@example.com by Sunday, November 4, 2012.
- Purchase food and beverages using your Challenge budget of $33 during the week of November 5-11. All food purchased and eaten during the Falcon Hunger Challenge week, including fast food and dining out, should be included in the total spending.
- Try to eat only the food purchased for the Challenge with your food stamp budget during the week. Avoid consuming food that you already own (this does not include spices or condiments) or accepting free food from family, friends, or at work or social gatherings. Remember that alcohol purchases that week do count toward your total!
- Contribute to the journal or reflection by sending emails describing how the Challenge is going to you to firstname.lastname@example.org
- (Optional) Consider donating to those who need it most by calculating how much you normally spend on food for a week and sending all but $33 the BG Christian Food Pantry, noting your participation in the Falcon Hunger Challenge. You can also look out for community service opportunities and participate in the MLK. Jr Day of Service Challenge 2013 by registering at http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/service-learning/page104297.html
Please take into consideration any medical conditions before agreeing to do the Challenge.
Thank you very much, we hope to see many fellow Falcons participating in the Challenge and helping us to raise awareness around poverty and hunger in Ohio.