Department of Recreation and Wellness
Learn to Skate Links
Ice Arena - Learn to Skate
The BGSU Ice Arena Management and Coaching Staff, in conjunction with US Figure Skating, provide high quality, progressive instruction in basic ice skating skills that give participants a solid foundation upon which they can continue into the various branches of ice sports including competitive figure skating, hockey team play, or a heightened enjoyment of recreation.
Read about Learn to Skate classes on the Wire.
Overview of Learn to Skate Offerings
- High quality, progressive skating instruction is delivered in a 30-minute class format.
- Rental skates provided at no cost during lesson time for each participant.
- Each participant receives a free practice pass to Public Skate.
- Cost - $66.00 per person. Each skater pays an annual US Figure Skating Basic Membership fee of $12.00 to cover membership, a skills packet, achievement certificates, and badges.
- On the first class day of a member of the coaching team greets participants and is available to answer questions about skates, instruction and other concerns. Plan to arrive at least ten (10) minutes early to allow time for these activities.
Fall and Winter Learn to Skate
Online registration now available!
Winter I - Call or email Laura Dunn (419-372-8686) to register now!
- Saturday classes: January 11, 18, 25, February 1, 8, 15
- Sunday classes: January 12, 19, 26, February 2, 9, 16
- Monday classes: January 13, 20, 27, February 3, 10, 10, 17
- Schedule of Classes
Winter II - Call or email Laura Dunn (419-372-8686) to register now!
- Saturday classes: February 22, March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
- Sunday classes: February 23, March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- Monday classes: February 24, March 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
- Schedule of Classes
Basic skills competitions are geared to stimulate interest in skill accomplishment and to provide early competitive experiences to new and developing skaters. Events are offered at the Basic I level and above.
Learn to Skate coaches coordinate lessons and guide parents and skaters through every step of the process from determining entry levels to etiquette and attire for the competition.
In the past, BGSU has fielded a team of skaters to events in Euclid, Kent, Ann Arbor, Macomb, and the local Bowling Green Skating Club Junior Club Championships.
Contact Laura Dunn, Coordinator of Ice Arena Programs, at 419.372.8686 or email@example.com with specific programming questions. Call the Newlove Pro Shop at 419.372.2264 to be placed on the mailing list.
This BGSU program is sponsored by: