Department of Recreation and Wellness
Employment - Graduate Assistantships
Graduate assistantships are offered by the Department of Recreation and Wellness with the mission to best serve the needs of the department, students, and clients while collectively providing GA's with opportunities including retreats, mentoring, and the ability to enhance interpersonal skills and gain practical management and leadership experiences.
1. Bachelor's degree preferably in physical education, sport management, recreation, or a related field.
2. Complete the Online Recreation and Wellness Application.
3. Apply to the BGSU Graduate College.
4. Acceptance into BGSU Human Movement, Sport, and Leisure Studies (HMSLS) Degree program.
5. Complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
6. (Preferred) CPR/FA & AED certified.
7. Business casual dress requirement.
Assistantship Openings Starting in Fall 2014
The Department of Recreation and Wellness is able to offer assistantships to students in the School of Human Movement, Sport and Leisure Studies (HMSLS), College of Technology, Architecture, and Applied Engineering (CTAAE), and in the Master of Public Health program (MPH):
- Intramurals/Sport Clubs (HMSLS)
- Marketing and Technology (CTAAE)
- Fitness (HMSLS)
Positions are available until filled.
To receive full consideration, a Recreation and Wellness application must be submitted online with three (3) letters of reference. (via the online application, or via fax, in-person, or by mail. Applications may submit the same letters of reference submitted to the academic college.
Before starting the online application, have digital copies of all documents necessary. Once the application has been started it cannot be saved. Closing the browser results in having to re-start the application process. The following documents are needed to complete the application:
- Current health and safety certifications if applicable (e.g. CPR, First Aid)
- Additional relevant cert6ifications if applicable
- Current resume
- Letter of interest
- Three letters of reference (may also be submitted at a later time using instructions below)
Additionally, have the following information available for completing the application
- Education Information
Undergraduate Degree of Study
Undergraduate Cumulative GPA
- Work history information (Employer, Position, Dates, Supervisor, and Phone number)
- List of three references (Name, Relationship, and Phone Number)
- Ohio residency information (See information below for full details on qualifications)
Letters of reference: Applications that do not submit any or all letters of reference via the online application must submit them to Thad Long:
E-Mail: Thad Long - email@example.com
Mail: Department of Recreation and Wellness
Attn: Thad Long, Student Recreation Center
1411 Ridge Road
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Some tuition scholarships are anticipated for 2014-15, based on the academic program of choice. For 2014-15 the College Technology provides scholarships equivalent to in-state or out-of-state instructional fees for full-time enrollment (9 credit hours for fall and spring semesters). The School of Human Movement, Sport and Leisure Studies is providing scholarships equivalent to in-state instructional fees for 6 credit hours for fall and spring semesters.
General Fees are borne by each student in all programs (~$560 per semester).
Ohio Residency Qualifications
A two-year program and commitment is anticipated, pending available funding. The 2014-15 stipend includes ~$8,800 for nine months. Additional hourly-wage work opportunities exist.