Bowling Green State University received a grant from Ohio Department of Natural Resources to promote recycling and waste reduction at university sporting events.
"Green Tailgating" is the main waste reduction initiative that takes place at every home football game.
- An average of 20 student volunteers staffed every game;
- Using containers provided by ODNR, collections sites are set up throughout the stadium concourses, tailgate area, and sky boxes of the stadium;
- Volunteers also hand out green recycling bags to tailgaters and collected them at the beginning of the game
- An all-time single game high weight of 8258 pounds (4.2 tons!) was achieved during Homecoming, October 15, 2011
Thanks to all our volunteers, and university partners, especially:
- BGSU intercollegiate athletics
- Forest Creason Golf Course and the Department of Recreation & Wellness
- Falcon Sports Properties, Inc.
- BGSU Campus Operations, including Recycling, Grounds, and Solid Waste
- Coca Cola
Green Tailgating Recycling Collection Weights
2012 Avg: 4,606 lbs (2.30 tons) per game
2012 Total: 23,031 lbs (11.52 tons)
2011 Avg: 3,654 lbs (1.83 tons) per game
2011 Total: 18,270 lbs (9.14 tons)
|Click here to volunteer!|
First Shift: 11am
Third Shift: 4:30pm
First Shift: 4:30pm
Second Shift: 7:30pm