ReycleMania is a friendly competition among college and university recycling programs in the United States. Each year, BGSU competes in this competition, seeing which residence hall can recycle the most goods (calculated by pounds per student).
How You Can Help: Recycle all paper, plastic, cardboard and aluminum (and sometimes even glass)!
2014 Competition: February 2 - March 29
- Prize Patrol will reward those who are "caught green handed"!
- Prizes include gift cards, reusable cups, and more!
- Prize Patrol will make an appearance at two sports games
- Women's Basketball Game - Wed. March 19
- Men's Basketball Game - Thurs. March 20
- Trash Audit will be held March 17-21
- BGSU Will be competing the Waste Diversion Competition for the second year in a row
- BGSU's total recycling numbers will be compared to universities across the nation
Final 2013 RecycleMania Residence Hall Competition winner: Congratulations to Kohl Hall for winning the 2nd year in a row
About the competition:
As part of the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment, BGSU is now competing in the Competition Division of RecycleMania. In this category weight of garbage produced is also measured, in addition to the weight of recycled materials. This also means the entire campus is now part of the competition, rather than just residence halls.
As part of the competition division, BGSU has pledged to pursue the following:
- Active program to sell or donate campus surplus property
- Promoting inter-office reusable envelopes for campus mail and review/improve campus systems for reclaiming extra envelopes for reuse
- Implementing campus printing initiatives which prohibit or discourage unlimited printing in computer labs and copy rooms (e.g. pay-per sheet pricing, etc.)
- Creating an office supplies exchange program on campus
- Offering discounts or other incentives for using reusable mugs in campus dining operations
- Creating and promoting a system for the campus community to report wasteful practices and offer suggestions for waste reduction
- Creating active program to educate employee and students about waste minimization practices (e.g. incorporating waste minimization information into new employee / new student orientation programs, giving regular presentations to campus groups and departments, setting up public displays, etc.)
In 2013, BGSU competed in the Competition Division for the first time:
- 180th in the Grand Champion section with a 23.143% recycling rate.
- 137th in Per Capita Classic with 11.88lbs/person recycled.
- 85th in the Gorilla contest with 227,892 lbs recycled.
- 88th in paper recycled.
- 41st in cardboard recycled.
- 41st in bottles and cans recycled.
| || |